Derek Worley backs safety measures at the crossroads
|
A £5m scheme to improve a notorious accident blackspot on the A14 in Suffolk has been approved.
It follows a public inquiry earlier this year into proposals for the Rookery crossroads at Rougham, near Bury St Edmunds.
The Government's proposals for improvements to the junction, which has seen a series of fatal accidents in recent years, were first published in early 2002.
But during a consultation period a number of objections and new proposals were published.
The Department of Transport called for a public inquiry which was held in March.
Crossover junction
On Tuesday, Transport Secretary Alistair Darling announced the plans would now go ahead.
He said further details of the improvements would be announced along with a local exhibition nearer the start of work which is expected to be next spring.
It is one of the few spots on the route where crossover junctions remain.
For local people the scheme can not come soon enough.
Derek Worley, a Rougham parish councillor, earlier this year called for safety measures at the crossroads.
"We have to cross two carriageways to get in. It is a real frustration to us," he said.