[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Tuesday, 5 August, 2003, 09:47 GMT 10:47 UK
Gun 'owned by Martin' disabled, say police
A First World War pistol allegedly owned by Tony Martin was disabled and could not be fired, police said on Tuesday.

Norfolk Police began an investigation last week and seized the gun after allegations that Martin had given it to a friend before his arrest for the shooting of a burglar four years ago.

A spokeswoman for Norfolk Police said tests had shown the gun could not be fired.

She said: "We have established that the pistol had been deactivated and was incapable of being fired.

"We are now considering what our next step will be."

Tony Martin was freed from jail eight days ago after serving two-thirds of a five-year sentence for the manslaughter of 16-year-old Fred Barras.

The farmer shot the teenager and his fellow burglar Brendan Fearon, 33, after confronting them in his home at Emneth Hungate in August 1999.

He sold his story to the Daily Mirror for a reported £100,000 and spent last week with reporters from the newspaper.





PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific