The man appeared at Belfast Magistrates' Court on Friday
|
An 18-year-old man has appeared in court charged with the attempted murder of a police officer.
Belfast Magistrates' Court heard on Friday that the constable was knocked down by a stolen car at Sheringhurst Court in north Belfast on Wednesday.
Christopher Edward Whyte of Agra Street, Belfast, was said to have replied: "I didn't see him," when he was charged at Antrim Road police station.
The police were investigating the theft of a car which had been stolen in east Belfast earlier that day and fitted with false number plates, a prosecutor said.
"The driver accelerated towards the police and struck one of the officers. The car continued along a footpath, missing pedestrians, and headed towards the Shore Road," she said.
A detective constable told the court that inquiries led the police to Mr Whyte's home, and he subsequently went to the police station voluntarily.
His solicitor asked the detective to confirm that at the police station, Mr Whyte had said: "Is the police officer all right? I didn't mean for it to happen like that."
The officer agreed this had been said, and that Mr Whyte had said the incident happened as a result of panic.
He was remanded in custody until 17 October.
At the same hearing, a 20-year-old man was charged with dishonestly assisting in the removal of a car.
The court heard Stuart McGregor, of Breda Gardens, Belfast, replied "No" when charged.
Mr McGregor admitted being in the car but denied knowing it was stolen, the court was told.
He was bailed to appear in court again on 24 September.