[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
LANGUAGES
Somali
French
Swahili
Great Lakes
Hausa
Portuguese
Last Updated: Tuesday, 5 August, 2003, 16:47 GMT 17:47 UK
Kenya 'suicide bomber' Yemeni link
Faisal, the suspected Mombasa suicide bomber, just after the blast
Faisal has been dubbed Kenya's first suicide bomber
Kenyan authorities have identified two suspected members of the al-Qaeda terrorist network arrested in the coastal town of Mombasa.

Kenyan Security Minister Chris Murungaru said on Tuesday that the two men were Kenyan nationals of Yemeni origin, according to Reuters news agency.

One of the men detonated a grenade in a police van on Friday, killing himself and a policeman as he was being driven to the town's central police station.

Kenyan police earlier named the suspected suicide bomber as Faisal, a 20-year-old Kenyan Muslim from the Mombasa suburb of Kaloleni and son of Ali Deri.

The second suspect, who was arrested after the blast and who is said to be a close associate of Faisal, is still being interrogated by Kenyan police in the capital, Nairobi.

Meanwhile, the hearing of the five al-Qaeda suspects charged with murder in connection with last year's suicide bombing on an Israeli-owned hotel in Mombasa has been adjourned until Thursday.

Rejected

The prosecution's appeal to be allowed another month for further investigation was rejected by the judge in the Nairobi Chief Magistrates Court on Tuesday.

Last November, al-Qaeda claimed responsibility for a bomb attack at a Mombasa hotel and a failed missile attack on an Israeli passenger jet.

The BBC's Noel Mwakugu says Mombasa remains tense with residents fearful that the police will launch a major crackdown on suspected terrorists.

The police expressed optimism that the arrest and subsequent interrogation of the suspect had yielded useful clues which will boost the war against terror in the country.

The East African Standard newspaper quotes senior police sources saying that Faisal wanted to blow up the police station to eliminate an accomplice suspected to have been detained there before vital information could be extracted from him.

The suspect managed to detonate the hand grenade whilst he was seated in the back of a police vehicle, being guarded by two police officers, outside the police station.

The Kenyan anti-terrorist police unit is said to be working jointly with the American Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in tracking down terror suspects.

Residents of Mombasa and other areas along the Kenyan coast have complained that the government was using high-handed tactics in the fight against terror.




SEE ALSO:
Blast in Kenyan port city
01 Aug 03  |  Africa
Al-Qaeda suspect's ordeal
01 Aug 03  |  Africa
Fifth charged with Kenya blast
08 Jul 03  |  Africa
US re-opens Kenyan embassy
25 Jun 03  |  Africa


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific