[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Monday, 4 August, 2003, 14:34 GMT 15:34 UK
School funding crisis 'to worsen'
Classroom
Some schools have cut teaching posts
Many more schools than previously thought could be forced to lay off teachers as a result of a funding crisis, a survey suggests.

A shortfall in cash for this financial year has led some schools in England to close teaching posts and other support staff positions, such as teaching assistants.

Now research by the Press Association suggests local education authorities fear the problem may be more widespread than first thought and could continue well into the next financial year.

Head teachers have put the crisis down to insufficient funding for higher teachers' wages, National Insurance and pension contributions.

In response to the problem, Education Secretary Charles Clarke announced in July he would give schools £800m from the government's unspent cash reserves for education over the next two years.

Surveys of this kind have consistently proved inaccurate and unreliable
Department for Education
But the PA survey of 36 LEAs in England suggests over 500 schools would be forced to set deficit budgets next year.

A total of 304 teacher jobs were lost in these authorities, through a combination of compulsory redundancy, early retirement and natural wastage, the poll indicated.

The LEAs also lost 165 support staff, including teaching assistants.

If these figures were representative of the remaining 114 authorities in England, schools would have lost some 1,260 teachers in 2003.

By contrast, Mr Clarke has said that around 270 teaching posts have been lost.

Eleven authorities said more teacher job cuts were either fairly or very likely.

The LEAs indicated that 329 primary, 167 secondary, 16 special and two middle schools went into the red this year.

'Inaccurate'

A spokesperson for the Department for Education dismissed the survey as inaccurate and unreliable.

Mr Clarke would be giving details of new funding arrangements in the autumn, the spokesperson said.

"We fully acknowledge the difficulties that some schools have faced and the measures we have introduced for the next two years are the right basis for tackling the situation.

"We will continue to work with schools and LEAs to ensure the situation is improved in the future."

But Shadow Education Secretary Damian Green was sceptical about the government's power to rectify the problem.

"The prospect of money next year will not compensate for the pain schools are feeling today," said Mr Green.

"Charles Clarke was far too slow to react to this crisis, which we now know is even worse than previously thought."

Heads' concerns

David Hart, general secretary of the National Association of Head Teachers said the survey backed up what head teachers had been telling him.

Charles Clarke
Charles Clarke has offered schools £800m from government reserves
"These figures very much chime with the figures that we have been producing for some weeks now," said Mr Hart.

"The crucial issue is whether Charles Clarke is going to come up with solutions that satisfy head teachers that they will have the cash in the bank that they need over the next two years."

Martin Ward, deputy general secretary of the Secondary Heads Association said it was too early to say whether Charles Clarke had done enough to stave off the problem.

"The sorts of steps he has taken in principle are adequate - provided there are enough funds applied to the system."




RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific