Hawk jets operate out of RAF Valley on Anglesey
|
More than 600 workers are waiting to hear about their future after their firm lost a multimillion pound contract at Anglesey's RAF Valley.
The 650 civilian staff were employed by defence company Brown & Root and Marshall Aerospace (Brama) to carry out routine service work on Hawk jets.
They are now waiting to see how many people will be hired by Babcock, the company that has won the contract.
In a separate announcement on Thursday, it was announced that Dara, which employs more than 2,000 people at St Athan in south Wales had won a five-year contract to carry out overhaul work of Hawk jets.
But this will not affect the future of work at RAF Valley.
Brama bosses have said they were shocked by the decision, and a spokesman said that it would be an understatement to say they were "disappointed".
Last year, Brama confirmed plans to increase its workforce with the creation of 100 jobs.
Brama took over the job from military personnel six years ago, and say they had built up a strong presence at the base.
RAF Valley officers have said that the work will remain at the base.
The transitional handover period will begin next month, with the new contract starting in April.
There has been no response so far from Babcock.