[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 18 September, 2003, 17:28 GMT 18:28 UK
Off with their hereditaries!
Photo of detail inside the House of Lords
The government is determined to modernise Parliament
The government has provoked censure in both houses with its latest proposals for Lords reforms.

The Secretary of State for Constitutional Affairs, Lord Falconer of Thoroton, gave a statement to the House of Lords on Thursday morning outlining the government's plans.

Conservative leader in the House of Lords Lord Strathclyde responded: "This is a fundamentally dishonest statement. It is pretending the government is still interested in long-term reform when it is pushing a short-term political fix."

Exclusions

At the centre of the scheme is the abolition of the remaining 92 hereditary peers in Parliament's second chamber and disqualification for peers with criminal convictions.

Proposed changes
Removal of all hereditary peers

A statutory, independent Appointments Commission, with transparent processes, to ensure a balanced chamber with no governmental majority

Retain current size, reducing to 600 members over time

Peers convicted of a criminal offence lose right to sit and vote and hold titles

PM able to make up to five ministerial appointments per Parliament to the Lords

Peers have option of renouncing peerages to vote in national elections
Lord Falconer explained that the latter proposal would simply bring the House of Lords into line with the Commons and the policy would be applied retrospectively - meaning the exclusion of the recently released perjurer Lord Archer.

"Parliament is a privilege not a possession," he said.

He maintained the proposals did not relate to the powers of the Lords, but were: "part of the programme of constitutional reform which the government has been pursuing since 1997...to make the institutions of the state fit and responsive to the demands of our citizens in the modern world."

The statement also set out an intention to establish a statutory Appointments Commission for overseeing appointments to the Lords.

Commons response

Junior Constitutional Affairs Minister Chris Leslie repeated the statement in the Commons later in the afternoon and drew even fiercer criticism.

Shadow Attorney General Bill Cash said: "Anyone would think the constitution of this country was the personal chattel of the prime minister and his cronies."

He went on: "The government is engaged in short-term gerrymandering and cynical political arithmetic."

The government's suggestions follow the failure of attempts to develop a solution to reforming the Upper Chamber by consensus earlier in the year.

They are inviting responses to the suggestions - detailed in the consultation paper 'Constitutional Reform: next steps for the House of Lords' - by 12 December.

  • For further details write to:-

    Bola Akinbileje
    Constitutional Policy Division
    Department of Constitutional Affairs
    1st Floor
    South Side
    105 Victoria Street
    London
    SW1E 6QT

  • or telephone 020 7210 1507

  • or

    You can watch Lord Falconer's statement and the ensuing debate on BBC Parliament at 2155 BST on Sunday 21 September.




  • SEE ALSO:
    House of Commons Business
    08 Sep 03  |  BBC Parliament
    House of Lords Business
    09 Sep 03  |  BBC Parliament
    Prime Minister's Questions
    17 Sep 03  |  BBC Parliament


    PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

    News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
    UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
    Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
    Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific