The offices of the newspaper have been raided twice by police
|
Police have prevented staff from entering the offices of Zimbabwe's only independent daily newspaper, in defiance of a court ruling.
A judge on Thursday ordered that the Daily News should be allowed to resume operations after being shut down last week, for failing to register under strict media laws.
But the newspaper publisher's chief executive, Samuel Nkomo, said Zimbabwean police were blocking the entrance and the paper's lawyers intended to file contempt of court papers to the police.
"Police are still denying us access. What they are doing is illegal in terms of the court order," he said.
He told the BBC that police had also refused to hand back all of the equipment seized from the offices, and he was very disappointed that Friday's edition of the paper had not been published.
The newspaper is still not publishing online either.
The Zimbabwean government intends to appeal against the High Court ruling.
The offices of the newspaper, which is critical of President Robert Mugabe, has been sealed off since last Friday.
In its ruling on Thursday, the High Court said police had no right "to prevent the applicant and its employees from gaining access to the premises of the applicant and carrying on its business".
The court also said equipment seized in raids must also be returned to the Daily News.
The Zimbabwe state controls the country's two other daily papers and the single
television and radio broadcast station.
'Stifle press'
The Daily News said the media law was designed to stifle the press and initially refused to apply for accreditation.
Mugabe blames the West for the crisis in Zimbabwe
|
However the owners later decided to register with the media commission and asked the High Court to allow the paper to continue publishing while its application was being considered.
On Wednesday police confiscated more than 120 computers from the offices of the Daily News.
Later, they arrested more than 100 opposition supporters trying to hold a rally against President Mugabe.
The protesters - organised by the National Constitutional Assembly (NCA) - were gathering in a square in central Harare when the riot police arrived and broke up the crowd.
The demonstrators intended to march to the parliament building in support of the Daily News.
A police spokesman told the BBC they would be charged with conduct likely to breach the peace.
The move has provoked condemnation of Mr Mugabe's rule.
The Supreme Court has often ruled against Mr Mugabe's government.
Critics and supporters of President Robert Mugabe agree that the judiciary has become one of the strongest checks on his government, says the BBC's Joseph Winter.
Last year, judges sentenced a cabinet minister to three months in jail for contempt of court.