[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Sunday, 3 August, 2003, 08:38 GMT 09:38 UK
Papers consider Kelly inquiry

The Independent on Sunday warns that the family of the government scientist David Kelly is facing a backlash at the inquiry into his death.

The paper says Dr Kelly's relatives will have to fight a "rearguard action" to prevent his reputation from being shredded.

It suggests Dr Kelly is likely to come under posthumous attack from both the government and the BBC. One side, the paper speculates, will dispute his allegations about the events leading up to the war in Iraq, the other will accuse him of lying about conversations with journalists.

Writing in The Sunday Mirror, former minister Peter Mandelson says Tony Blair has satisfied himself that no government minister or official did wrong in relation to Dr Kelly.

In an article in the Mail on Sunday, the journalist and former MP Martin Bell says Dr Kelly was hounded to death and that the tragedy has caused decent people to despair.

The Sunday Telegraph says the Defence Secretary, Geoff Hoon, plans to go on a family holiday rather than attend Dr Kelly's funeral. It says some of Mr Hoon's colleagues in the Cabinet are furious - one minister is quoted as saying it is "unbelievable".

Leslie reaction

For the Sunday Express, the most important story of the day relates to the television presenter John Leslie, who was cleared of indecent assault last week. Nine pages of coverage start with an interview with Mr Leslie's mother Lex, in which she says she never doubted her son's innocence.

The Sunday Mirror takes a different line - it says that the woman who accused Mr Leslie of attacking her now plans to sue him. She's told the paper she wants to prove she's not a liar.

The News of the World is taking the credit for reuniting the wife of the deputy prime minister and her long-lost son. Pauline Prescott is quoted as thanking the paper for bringing together her and Paul - who she put up for adoption 43 years ago.

The News of the World says it told Paul who his mother was two years ago but kept the story secret at his request. The Sunday Times says it approached the family about the story some time ago but did not pursue it because of a plea from Downing Street. The paper says it is not clear why the Prescott family have decided to tell their story now.

Fashion statement

The teacher who argued that scantily clad pop stars such as Kylie Minogue and Britney Spears are encouraging young girls to wear revealing outfits has found an unlikely ally - a fashion magazine editor.

Writing in The Observer, the editor of In-style magazine, Louise Chunn, says that the maths teacher Jim O'Neill was right to say that by following the example of their musical heroines children were trying to grow up too soon.

But there may be a solution in The Mail on Sunday. It reports on a new girl-band with an altogether different approach to its wardrobe. The first all-woman group to emerge from Afghanistan - the Burka band - is reaching cult status in clubs across Europe.

And parents need not worry about the trio as sartorial role-models. As their name suggests - the Burka Band perform while completely covered in the traditonal veils.




RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific