[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 18 September, 2003, 10:46 GMT 11:46 UK
Soldier 'may now attend tribunal'
Soldiers on street on Bloody Sunday
The inquiry is examining the events of 30 January 1972
A former parachute regiment soldier who has refused to attend the Bloody Sunday Inquiry has indicated that he may now testify.

The inquiry is examining the events of 30 January 1972 when 13 civilians were shot dead by soldiers during a civil rights march in Londonderry. Another man died later from his injuries.

Soldier L had been served with a subpoena on Monday ordering him to be at Central Hall by 0900 BST on Wednesday, but he failed to appear.

Tribunal chairman Lord Saville said on Wednesday he had no alternative but to start the process of reporting Soldier L to the High Court for contempt, which could result in him being sent to prison.

However, Soldier L's legal team told the inquiry on Thursday that he is now much more willing to co-operate.

The inquiry was told he may make an application to testify from behind screens.

Lord Saville said if Soldier L is to apply for screening, he must do so on Thursday.

Controversial evidence

Soldier L was due to give controversial evidence to the tribunal.

In his statement, he said he witnessed another soldier stand over a man and repeatedly shoot him.

He also alleged he saw Bishop Edward Daly putting two rifles inside his cassock.

The soldier also said in his statement it was his intention to get Martin McGuinness "dead or alive".

In another development, a former IRA man who has made allegations about Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness will be allowed to give evidence to the tribunal from behind screens in London.

Paddy Ward had asked the tribunal to be screened from the public, the families and the media because he feared he could be killed if he was identified.

Mr Ward, who now lives abroad, had told the tribunal he would not testify if his application was refused.

He has claimed in his statement to the tribunal that he was 16-years-old at the time, and was in charge of the Fianna, the junior wing of the IRA.

He also alleged Mr McGuinness and another IRA man gave him detonators for a planned nailbomb attack on Bloody Sunday.

Mr McGuinness has rejected the allegation.

The tribunal is sitting at Central Hall in London for about six weeks before returning to the Guildhall in Derry as it enters its final stages.

It has been hearing the evidence from military witnesses and others in London because of concerns for their safety.

Lord Saville has already heard evidence from almost 800 witnesses, including the prime minister in 1972, Sir Edward Heath.

Lord Saville of Newdigate and the Commonwealth judges accompanying him on the Bloody Sunday inquiry began their work nearly four years ago.

They are not expected to report back until next year.


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific