York Minster is one of the north's top tourist attractions
|
Tourists visiting York Minster have been giving their reaction to the new admission fee, with many of them in favour of the charge.
Officials have made the move in a bid to reduce an annual deficit of £600,000.
The £4.50 charge for adults, which came in on Saturday, was welcomed by American tourist Trudy Prewer, who is visiting her sister in Harrogate.
The 53-year-old said: "I can't believe it was free in the first place.
"It is such a magnificent building it must cost thousands to maintain.
 |
The
price is fairly steep, especially for a large family and it could put some
people off
|
"I don't mind paying one bit. You have to pay at every other attraction.
"I don't see why a church should be any different."
David Gibson, 33, visiting from Cambridge, agreed with the necessity of charging.
He said: "Ely (Cathedral) has been charging for years
"If people gave a reasonable donation in the first place, we wouldn't be in this position."
Dr David Hope says the charges are essential to keep the Minster afloat
|
Earlier in the summer, the Archbishop of York backed the cathedral's decision to impose charges.
Dr David Hope said he had "reluctantly concluded" that officials at the cathedral had little option but to charge.
But not all those visiting the Minster on Saturday agreed with the charging.
Tom Connolly, 52, visiting from Coventry with his wife Jenny, 56, said: "The price is fairly steep, especially for a large family and it could put some people off.
"I would have preferred it if it had remained free, with visitors encouraged to make a donation, but with everything in life you get nothing for free."