[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Sunday, 3 August, 2003, 08:14 GMT 09:14 UK
Soham parents stay away
Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman were wearing Manchester United shirts when they disappeared
Holly and Jessica vanished on 4 August last year
The families of murdered schoolgirls Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman cannot face being in Soham on the first anniversary of the deaths, and no special services are planned to mark the day.

Instead they plan to spend 4 August away from their Cambridgeshire town and its memories, police said.

On that day last year, Holly and Jessica, both 10, vanished shortly after being seen walking near their homes.

Their bodies were found in a ditch near Lakenheath, Suffolk, two weeks later.

On Sunday police said: "The parents of Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman will be spending the anniversary with their immediate families away from the Soham area.

People from all over the country and abroad are clearly still very deeply moved and touched by all that went on in Soham
Reverend Tim Alban Jones
St Andrew's Church

"They wish to thank people for their kind thoughts and hope people appreciate their desire for privacy at this time."

There are no services planned to mark the anniversary and police have urged people to stay away from Soham over the anniversary period.

Tim Alban Jones, the vicar at St Andrew's church in the town, said the reaction to the events in Soham had showed that "goodness was stronger than evil".

In a meditation written to mark the day, he said: "Not a week goes by without someone writing or contacting me to tell me that they are still thinking about the families and about what happened last year.

Leslie and Sharon Chapman and Kevin and Nicola Wells outside the Old Bailey
Their parents will be away on the anniversary of the day the girls went missing
"People from all over the country and abroad are clearly still very deeply moved and touched by all that went on in Soham."

Soham's Methodist minister, the Reverend Alan Ashton, has written a prayer to mark the anniversary, praying for "peace and justice" to be established and "death and despair" to be defeated.

Two people have been charged in connection with the girls' deaths.

Ian Huntley, 29, a former caretaker at Soham Village College, denies murdering the girls but admits conspiring to pervert the course of justice.

Maxine Carr, 26, denies helping an offender and perverting the course of justice.

They are due to stand trial at the Old Bailey, London, on 6 October.




WATCH AND LISTEN
The BBC's Jane Warr
"They hoped everyone would respect their desire for privacy"



SEE ALSO:
Vicar of Soham's reflections: Full text
03 Aug 03  |  Cambridgeshire
Carr placed on suicide watch
26 Jun 03  |  Cambridgeshire
'Serious failures' at Huntley jail
19 Jun 03  |  Politics


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific