[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
LANGUAGES
Somali
French
Swahili
Great Lakes
Hausa
Portuguese
Last Updated: Friday, 1 August, 2003, 21:55 GMT 22:55 UK
'Ransom demand' for Sahara tourists
Rescued hostages wave as they leave plane in Cologne, Germany
The first group of hostages arrived home in May

Malian authorities have reportedly received a video cassette of the group of European tourists abducted in the Sahara desert which confirms a ransom demand made by their abductors.

Germany's N-TV television reported that a suspected Islamic group was demanding about $5m for each hostage - $70m in total.

"We have a copy of a cassette where you can clearly see the hostages. They speak in German and mention a ransom," a Malian official, who requested anonymity, told the AFP news agency.

"The hostages are well, even if they appear tired," he said.

Negotiations were under way with the kidnappers through an intermediary, but no quick release was expected, N-TV quoted unnamed diplomats in Mali as saying.

The German foreign ministry declined to comment.

Earlier in the week, one of the 15 hostages, a 45-year-old German woman, was reported to have died from heatstroke while in captivity.

There had been no word about the fate of the other 9 Germans, four Dutch and one Swiss since another group of 17 adventure tourists from Europe was freed in May.

The tourists were seized while travelling without guides in the scenic south of the country between February and March and are thought to be held near the Tuareg city of Illizi, 1,200 kilometres (750 miles) south of Algiers.

Since the tourists' disappearance, four motorcycles and a jeep thought to belong to the group have been found in southern Algeria, the country's El Watan newspaper reports.




SEE ALSO:
Missing Sahara tourists 'alive'
17 Jun 03  |  Africa
Saharan hostage 'rescue planned'
20 May 03  |  Africa
Sahara hostage tells of ordeal
15 May 03  |  Africa
Sahara hostages fly home
14 May 03  |  Africa
German plea over Sahara tourists
12 May 03  |  Africa
Tourists vanish in Sahara
30 Mar 03  |  Africa


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific