[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 18 September, 2003, 18:54 GMT 19:54 UK
Harbour death attack claim
Kevin McLeod
Kevin McLeod died at Wick harbour
A private detective investigating the death of a Wick man said he has fresh evidence that Kevin McLeod was attacked before ending up in the town's harbour.

Former Glasgow detective Les Brown said he can identify two men seen attacking Mr McLeod near the quayside.

He intends to present the fresh evidence to the Crown Office by the end of the week.

A fatal accident inquiry concluded that Mr McLeod's death at Wick harbour in February 1997 was an accident.

But his family has consistently maintained he was killed and that police mishandled the investigation.

Witness claim

An investigation by Northern Constabulary concluded his severe internal injuries were sustained in the fall from the quay.

Mr Brown, who was employed by the McLeods to investigate the death, revealed he could identify two of three men seen punching and kicking Mr McLeod near the water's edge.

"I know he was followed by three men and these three men on at least one occasion, but probably two, assaulted Kevin, the second time quite severely," he said.

Allan McLeod
We've always suspected that Kevin was murdered and that the police bungled the investigation from day one
Allan McLeod
"There are witnesses that saw Kevin being kicked by at least one of the three men not far from where he was last seen."

His belief is shared by US pathologist Ed Friedlander, who claims the abdominal damage is consistent with Mr McLeod having received a violent kick.

Mr McLeod's uncle, Allan McLeod, said the family was relieved that the information could see the case coming to a conclusion.

"We've always suspected that Kevin was murdered and that the police bungled the investigation from day one," he said.

"They informed the family that there was no suspicious circumstances and that was before the recovery of Kevin's body."

In a statement, Northern Constabulary said Mr McLeod's death had already been the subject of two police inquiries, a fatal accident inquiry and an investigation by an outside force and that they would not be re-opening their inquiries.


WATCH AND LISTEN
BBC Scotland's Eric Crockart
"Family members believe Kevin was murdered"



SEE ALSO:
Anger at halt to death inquiry
04 Apr 03  |  Scotland
Harbour death family press PM
28 Mar 03  |  Scotland
Officer faces Wick death hearing
18 Feb 03  |  Scotland
Police reject death inquiry calls
05 Nov 02  |  Scotland
New probe into harbour death
18 Dec 01  |  Scotland


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific