[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 1 August, 2003, 22:19 GMT 23:19 UK
Sky deny Leslie talk show deal
John Leslie outside court
John Leslie was in celebratory mood as the case was dropped
The future career of television presenter John Leslie is still in doubt after broadcaster Sky One announced on Friday it had "no plans" to offer him a new chat show.

The presenter's spokesperson had earlier said it was considering a £1m offer by the channel.

But on Friday evening Sky One said it had not offered Mr Leslie a return to the small screen.

The former host of ITV's This Morning was cleared on Thursday of charges of attacking the same woman twice between 25 May and 28 May 1997.

Looking forward

The prosecution dropped the case after receiving unspecified "new information" from the woman which made prosecution impossible.

Mr Leslie was told he could leave the court "without a stain on his character".

We are rather confused by this turn of events
James Herring, spokesman for John Leslie

He has sold his story to the Daily Express, to be told in installments over several days.

On Thursday the television star was in celebratory mood, after the charges were dropped and he looked forward to re-starting his career.

Sky One had allegedly offered him his own one-hour talk show, aired five days a week, which would start in October.

But on Friday evening a Sky One spokesman refused to say whether any such offer had been made or say anything further to the brief statement denying any plans for a show.

Leslie's spokesman, James Herring, would only say: "We are rather confused by this turn of events."

Previously he had said that several companies had expressed an interest in filming a documentary on Leslie.

No deal struck

"As regards to a documentary, there was a considerable amount in interest from television production companies and other broadcasters yesterday," he said.

"Mr Leslie's agent has a pile of requests that he will be discussing with John," he said.

A friend of the presenter told PA News the decision by Sky One was "a mystery".

On Thursday Sky One confirmed it had held talks with Mr Leslie "regarding two potential television programmes" but said no deal had been struck.

Earlier Mr Leslie's legal team said it was preparing him a report on people believed to have brought his name into disrepute.

"Individuals, media organisations, newspapers and various people responsible for bringing him down, slandering or libelling him" were all in their sights, Mr Herring said.




WATCH AND LISTEN
The BBC's Lucy Atherton
"On the career front, things may be looking up for the former Blue Peter presenter"



RELATED BBCi LINKS:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific