Protesters fear the rail link would damage wildlife habitats
|
Protesters have won the first round in a battle to prevent a £6.5m rail link being built in a Suffolk seaside resort.
Hundreds of people were in Southwold on Tuesday night to object to plans for a nine-mile 3ft narrow gauge line to link the town with Halesworth.
They claimed the scheme to re-open the line, which had been closed for more than 70 years, would be an environmental disaster for the area.
Town councillors sided with the objectors on Tuesday and voted eight to one against supporting the plans.
John Bennett, chairman of Southwold Railway Society which is behind the rail link, said on Wednesday changes would now be made the proposals.
"It was only a draft proposal and there will be one or two changes which are going to be made to it," he said.
"A lot of people are in favour of the line in principle but there are things we will change in response to last night's meeting.
"The response so far has not been discouraging. There are many people who support the scheme."
He added: "This is a slow process, we're not rushing into anything or ready to build something tomorrow.
"If when we have finalised the proposals there is still more people opposed than in favour then we may rethink the whole issue.
"We're not here to make ourselves unpopular."
Opponents claim the line would destroy wildlife on the route and the atmosphere of the resort.