More police will patrol Caia Park
|
Extra police officers have been drafted in to patrol a Wrexham housing estate following two nights of violence in June.
Seventy three people were arrested following the disturbances in Caia Park, which police believe was partially racially-motivated.
At a public meeting on Friday, attended by more than 60 people, Chief Superintendent Steve Curtis outlined the forces' response to the troubles.
"We've put together a larger police team and we're looking for them to stay on the estate for a period of three years," he said.
"We've appointed a dedicated community beat manager sergeant, and he's got under him a dedicated team of five community beat managers.
Community
"These are officers who work in the community dealing directly with the public.
"Their brief is to integrate fully with the community, so the public feel comfortable enough to report crime and also feel safe and secure."
Chief Supt Curtis said crime in Caia Park had already fallen.
"Caia Park is a more law abiding place than it was last year," he said.
"Clearly there's a lot of work for us to do following the disorder in June for all agencies not just the police."
Gareth Pritchard wants to promote the estate's image
|
He added that it was not responsible behaviour for people living on the estate to pretend the disturbances were not in part racially-charged.
"Some of the incidents had racist undertones and involved racist comment.
"It would be foolish of us all to bury our heads in the sand and say this wasn't racist."
Gareth Pritchard has lived in the Caia Park area for 40 years, and is a founder member of 'People of the Park for the Park' - an organisation set up after the disturbances.
"People seem to be disenfranchised down here," he said.
"I don't think it's a racist area, I think it's a very welcoming area, a lot of people have come into this community."
Along with fellow members of the fledgling organisation, the 42-year-old said he would campaign to promote a more positive image of the estate.