Doug Wood won £2.6m eight years ago
|
Police are investigating the death of a horse racing enthusiast who won more than £2m on the National Lottery.
Doug Wood, 67, who won £2.6m in September 1995, was found dead in his Essex home on Thursday morning.
Ambulance crews were called to Midhurst Avenue in Westcliff-on-Sea.
His body was found on Thursday morning by a taxi driver who had turned up at the bungalow to take him on holiday.
When there was no answer at the house, the driver asked neighbours for a key and found Mr Wood's body.
 |
He did a lot of good with his money - he has supported
various charities very generously
|
Earlier this month Mr Wood, who was single, told BBC Essex that he had spent most of his fortune on his family, charity donations and his love of horse racing.
Next-door neighbour Sue Nice, 56, who used to work as his cleaner said
she would remember him fondly.
"He did a lot of good with his money. He has supported
various charities very generously and he even sponsored my husband's football
team," she said.
Mr Wood worked in a local sweet shop
before retiring after his lottery win.
"He absolutely loved horse racing," Mrs Nice said.
"Sometimes he would go to
the races five times a week and the dogs once.
"I will remember him fondly. It's so sad - he was so kind and then something
like this happens."
The coroner has been informed of the death and a post-mortem examination is expected to be carried out on Friday.
Police said they were not treating the death as suspicious.