The inquiry is examining the events of 30 January 1972
|
A former soldier has been ordered to appear at the Bloody Sunday Inquiry.
The Saville Inquiry heard on Tuesday that Soldier L had indicated he would not turn up to give evidence.
He has been served with a subpoena ordering him to appear at the tribunal in London on Wednesday.
The inquiry is examining the events of 30 January 1972 when 13 civilians were shot dead by soldiers during a civil rights march in Londonderry. Another man died later from his injuries.
Tribunal chairman Lord Saville warned the former paratrooper would face serious consequences if he failed to show up.
It is believed he could be jailed if he ignores the court order.
Mental state
A barrister told the tribunal she had been informed Soldier L's mental state appeared to be deteriorating and he had been indicating an unwillingness to appear.
Lord Saville told the barrister to tell the soldier the importance of his attendance and the consequences of not doing so.
"He has of course had very many weeks notice that he is required to attend tomorrow," he added.
Soldier L is due to give controversial evidence to the tribunal.
In his statement, he said he witnessed another soldier stand over a man and repeatedly shoot him.
Lord Saville's inquiry moved to London in 2002 over security fears
|
He also alleged he saw Bishop Edward Daly putting two rifles inside his coat.
Earlier on Tuesday, a former parachute regiment soldier told the inquiry he did not see any justification for up to 40 shots he saw being fired by a group of soldiers at a crowd in the Bogside.
Soldier 1237 said the soldiers were not firing indiscriminately, but were picking out targets.
He said, however, he did not see any gunmen and did not see anyone being killed or wounded.
The tribunal is sitting at Central Hall in London for about six weeks before returning to the Guildhall in Derry as it enters its final stages.
It has been hearing the evidence from military witnesses and others in London because of concerns for their safety.
Lord Saville has already heard evidence from almost 800 witnesses, including the prime minister in 1972, Sir Edward Heath.
Lord Saville of Newdigate and the Commonwealth judges accompanying him on the Bloody Sunday inquiry began their work nearly four years ago.
They are not expected to report back until next year.