Daniel was a very keen sailor
|
A permanent memorial to missing schoolboy Daniel Nolan who was confirmed dead on Monday is being planned by his school.
On Tuesday, scores of youngsters at Southampton's King Edward VI school had the news broken to them that remains washed up on a Dorset beach belonged to 14-year-old Daniel, who vanished on New Year's Day 2002.
Headteacher of the 946-strong school Julian Thould told BBC News Online that, with the help of the Nolan family, the school will create a permanent memorial to the popular youngster.
He said that while details had not been confirmed, it may involve the school's boat club, as Daniel was a keen sailor.
Daniel's parents say they now accept he has died
|
Daniel disappeared after a late-night fishing trip with friends in Hamble, Hampshire, where he lived.
Human remains, which included a foot and trainer, were found in May near Swanage, Dorset, 50 miles from where he was last seen.
Scientific analysis confirmed the remains were Daniel's, police revealed on Monday.
DNA tests earlier in the year had proved inconclusive.
Counsellors and the school's chaplain have been on hand to comfort the pupils, many of whom knew Daniel during his three years there, and an official memorial service will be held later this year.
 |
We remain open-minded in terms of what may have happened to him
|
A brief assembly was held on Tuesday morning, and pupils were then briefed about the discovery in smaller tutor groups.
Mr Thould said of the memorial: "I think we will look for something apposite to his memory.
"He was a very keen sailor and we have our own boat club.
"So something to do with that might be a possibility."
He said of the moment that the youngsters were told of Daniel's confirmed death: "It was a very sombre, sober atmosphere and we had some very tearful individuals.
'Element of foul play'
"It's a very difficult thing for young people to come to terms with the death of a contemporary.
"They do not expect it."
Daniel's mother Pauline told the BBC on Monday that she and her husband, Greg, now finally accept their son has died, after a campaign lasting 13 months to try to shed light on the mystery surrounding his disappearance.
But she said: "We still very much believe that there is an element of foul play within Daniel's disappearance."
Hampshire police are continuing to investigate and said: "We remain open-minded in terms of what may have happened to him."