The riots caused millions of pounds worth of damage
|
Two men who lost legal appeals over their parts in the Bradford riots, are considering taking their case to the European Court of Human Rights.
Appeal court judges rejected claims by Irfan Iqbal and Shiraz Amjad that their sentences were heavier than many received by others involved in the disturbances.
The barrister for the men, Osam Daneshyar, said: "I will be advising both my clients to take it to the European Court of Human Rights on the basis of disparity."
Iqbal, 20, of Killinghall Road, Fagley, Bradford, was sentenced to 12 months in a young offenders institution after pleading guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
Shan, 22, of Wingfield Street, Barkerend, who pleaded guilty to the same offence, was given nine months in a young offenders institution.
The men were caught on camera in the city centre kicking and punching a youth about an hour after the main riot in July 2001.
Their lawyers accepted they deserved custodial sentences but maintained there were sufficient mitigating factors to warrant a reduction in the length of the terms.
Dismissing the appeals on Wednesday Mr Justice Goldring said: "It is quite clear to everyone that public violence cannot be tolerated, whether or not there had been prior provocation."