[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 30 July, 2003, 17:25 GMT 18:25 UK
Boss guilty over cesspit death
Nathan Pringle
Nathan Pringle was pulled from the cesspit by his father
The manager of a tourist camp has been convicted of manslaughter following the death of a four-year-old boy who fell into a cesspit at the site.

Michael Kelly, 68, who managed the Newperran tourist park near Newquay, Cornwall was convicted at Exeter Crown Court.

The Trevella Caravan Company, which owns the Newperran site, has admitted failing to ensure the health and safety of visitors.

A director of Trevella, Alan Frear 54, from Perranporth, Cornwall, was found guilty by the jury of failing to discharge a duty under the Health and Safety Act.

Kelly had faced a similar charge, but the judge had directed the jury to find him not guilty of that offence if he was convicted of manslaughter.

Nathan Pringle from Bracknell, Berkshire, died six days after falling into the cesspit during a family camping holiday on 10 August, 2001.

Jeff and Suzanne Pringle:
Suzanne and I were led to believe that the tourist park complex posed no threat
Jeff and Suzanne Pringle
Nathan's parents said there were no signs warning of the dangers in the field, which they had been told was a designated dog walking area.

In a statement released after the case Suzanne and Jeff Pringle said: "Suzanne and I were led to believe that the tourist park complex posed no threat whatsoever to other holidaymakers or us.

"Sadly this was not the case."

The court heard that Nathan and his brother Daniel both celebrated their birthdays during the holiday, and it was Daniel's seventh birthday on the day the tragedy happened.

The two boys were taking the family dog Holly for a walk while their parents were packing at the end of the holiday.

Daniel said he and Nathan stood on some of the drain covers which had stones on them.

He said: "I had my back to him. I heard a splosh, he did not make a noise."

Nathan was pulled from the cesspit by his father after Daniel ran to raise the alarm.

He was taken to hospital, but died six days later.

Judge Mrs Justice Hallett said she would sentence Kelly, Frear and the company on Thursday because it would not be appropriate to sentence on what would have been Nathan's sixth birthday.

Kelly and Frear were granted bail.




SEE ALSO:
Support for death park boss
28 Jul 03  |  Cornwall
Boy died after cesspit fall
21 Jul 03  |  Cornwall


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific