[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Saturday, 19 July, 2003, 15:53 GMT 16:53 UK
Clinic destroys cancer patients' sperm
Sperm
The sperm is likely to be unusable
A fertility clinic has accidentally destroyed the sperm samples of 28 men undergoing cancer treatment which is likely to make them infertile.

A faulty freezer unit where the samples were kept at Southmead Hospital in Bristol, has been blamed.

The men may now not be able to have children, and the hospital has been criticised for not providing enough immediate support to them.

Many of the men said they were angry they were offered no special helpline or named individuals they could call for support. The relevant consultant is currently on holiday.

The hospital said it appreciated the incident was "upsetting and distressing" for the patients, and that following inquiries from BBC News, it would now set up a helpline.

The sperm samples contained in the freezer unit had all been donated in the past year.

Our priorities are to make sure information and support is provided and to ensure a proper investigation is carried out
Angela McNab
Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority

An initial assessment of them suggests they have been damaged beyond use.

BBC science correspondent Pallab Ghosh says the hospital had written a "terse letter" to the men, suggesting that if they wanted to discuss their concerns a consultant would be available on either the 14 or 21 August.

The hospital says that if individuals needed immediate support they could have called the switchboard and sought out someone to speak to.

North Bristol NHS clinical support director Dr Tim Lewis said: "Unfortunately the initial assessment suggests that the sperm stored for 28 men have been lost or irreparably damaged by the accidental failure.

"We appreciate that this is upsetting and distressing news for the men concerned.

"They have already had to deal with difficult and stressful treatments for their cancers."

Southmead Hospital
The hospital is promising an investigation

As well as being given a chance to talk to a consultant at the clinic or by telephone, the men would be offered "additional fertility testing and counselling as appropriate," Dr Lewis said.

An internal inquiry will be set up to look into the matter, he promised.

Angela McNab, chief executive of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority, added: "Our priorities are to make sure information and support is provided.

"And to ensure a proper investigation is carried out to identify recommendations, and prevent such an incident reoccurring."

A second freezer bank containing sperm donated by more than 400 men before July last year was not affected.




WATCH AND LISTEN
The BBC's Pallab Ghosh
"The incident is a tragedy for the men affected"


Dr Tim Lewis talks to the BBC
"We're holding our own internal inquiry"



SEE ALSO:
Freezer fault hits sperm bank
27 Sep 02  |  England
Fears over 'damaged' sperm samples
16 Mar 02  |  Scotland
Probe ordered into sperm damage
18 Mar 02  |  Scotland


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific