Twagiramungu says the elections 'would not be free and fair'
|
Six presidential candidates have officially registered to run in next month's presidential election in Rwanda - the first since the 1994 genocide.
The deadline for candidates to file their details with the authorities expired on Friday.
The main opposition contender, former Prime Minister Faustin Twagiramungu, told the BBC he did not believe the election would be free and fair, adding that his supporters had been intimidated.
But current head of state Paul Kagame - who is also standing - rejected the charge.
Mr Kagame said his government had spent two years preparing a constitution that involved all Rwandans - including exiles.
'People's wishes'
"And we have been making it clear at every stage that we are heading for elections.
"Therefore the timing cannot really depend on Twagiramungu's wishes.
 |
Registered parties
Rwandan Patriotic Front (FPR)
Liberal Party (PL)
Social Democratic Party (PSD)
Ideal Democratic Party (PDI)
Centrist Democratic Party (PDC)
Rwandan Syndicalist Party (PSR)
Rwandan People's Democratic Union (UDPR)
Party for Progress and Harmony (PPC)
|
"The timing should depend on the general views and wishes of the people of Rwanda and I think the people of Rwanda are happy that we are ending the transition and moving forward on a more firm democratic path, " Mr Kagame said.
Mr Twagiramungu told the Rwandan News Agency on Friday that he had received twice as much as the 600 required signatures for his candidature.
He returned to Burundi in June, after eight years in exile in Belgium.
The campaign is due to start on 1 August. The election is scheduled three weeks later.
The National Electoral Commission (NEC) named the other four candidates as former minister Jean-Nepomuscene Nayinzira, the first Rwanda's female presidential candidate Alivera Mukabaramba, former deputy in the Transitional National Assembly, Alphonse Nzabonimana and Theoneste Niyitegeka.