[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 18 July, 2003, 15:21 GMT 16:21 UK
Man 'is risk to Catholic families'
Courts graphic
A campaign of sectarian intimidation is driving Catholic families out of a County Londonderry housing estate, the High Court has been told.

A Crown lawyer said Catholic residents of the Leckagh Drive estate in Magherafelt would be at risk if a man appearing before the court was released on bail.

He was objecting to a bail application by Robert Donnelly, 39, of Leckagh Drive, who is denying a charge of collecting information useful to terrorists.

The charge relates to papers found at his home, including a reference to a house in the estate, where a pipe bomb was found on 9 July.

A Catholic man had recently moved into the house but was away on that night.

The Crown lawyer said the man had since left the estate because of his fears.

"There is a history of sectarianism in this estate, as another family was forced out last year," he said.

Mr Justice Weatherup said bail could only be considered if Mr Donnelly was removed from the area.

The judge ordered Mr Donnelly to stay out of Magherafelt, but told him he could live in Portrush.

He fixed bail at £2,500 and told Mr Donnelly to report to police three times a week.





PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific