Local people have been protesting about the plans for more than three years
|
Plans to re-open an old quarry on the edge of Dartmoor have been rejected by Devon County Councillors.
An inspector's report had recommended that Ryecroft Quarry near Christow be brought into use again after more than 50 years.
But at a meeting on Wednesday councillors decided they did not agree.
Residents had feared the tranquillity of the area would be destroyed by vehicle movements.
Ryecroft Quarry Limited had estimated there was 25 years worth of stone to work, and said it would control lorry movements.
'Strange' decision
But Jerry Horsman of the Teign Valley Action Group said it was the result they had been waiting for.
He said: "I feel enormously vindicated on behalf of the committee and all the people - some 200 supporters who have worked so hard and for so long knowing they had something worth fighting for.
"At the moment it is just a feeling of enormous relief."
Ryecroft Quarry Limited told Wednesday's meeting it had spent tens of thousand of pounds preparing for working, and attacked the council's decision.
"I think it's a strange decision in the light that the council called their own public inquiry, Ryecroft Quarry defended it, and they've now decided to go against the inspectors' report," said Ken Grazier from Ryecroft Quarry Limited.
The company says it is now considering bringing a judicial review of the council's decision.