[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
LANGUAGES
Chinese
Vietnamese
Indonesian
Burmese
Thai
More
Last Updated: Friday, 18 July, 2003, 09:37 GMT 10:37 UK
Hong Kong leader battles on
Chief Executive Tung Chee-hwa at a press conference on Thursday
Tung Chee-hwa is standing firm
Hong Kong's Chief Executive Tung Chee-hwa received a lukewarm backing from China's state-run media on Friday, ahead of a planned trip to Beijing.

The beleaguered Mr Tung, who faces calls to resign because of his handling of a controversial anti-subversion bill, is due to meet China's President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao on Saturday.

The talks will be overshadowed by the most serious political crisis to affect Hong Kong since its return to Chinese sovereignty in 1997.

Street protests against the bill forced the government to delay it, and triggered the resignations of two senior ministers.

ANTI-SUBVERSION BILL
Outlaws: Reporting state "secrets"
Criticism of Beijing authority
Access to "subversive" material
Threatens currently legal groups, such as Falun Gong

Mr Tung's statement on Thursday that he intended to continue as Hong Kong's leader was supported by Friday's edition of the China Daily newspaper.

The state-run paper heralded his "brave choice" to stay put and recover from past mistakes.

Wen Wei Po, a Beijing-backed newspaper in Hong Kong, also said Mr Tung's announcement "showed enormous courage and responsibility".

The comments suggested Mr Tung has not yet lost the support of his backers in Beijing.

But he is expected to be told to continue with getting the anti-subversion bill approved by the territory's legislation, as well as tackle the growing discontent in the territory.

Hong Kong is required to enact the security legislation in line with the Basic Law agreed when Hong Kong was returned to Chinese rule.

'Sleepless' over rally

But critics say the new laws would seriously undermine Hong Kong's political, religious and media freedoms.

The mass rally on 1 July, when more than 500,000 people marched in protest, left Mr Tung "sleepless", he has admitted.

He vowed to hold more meetings with political parties, the media and community leaders to increase his accountability.

But Mr Tung's many critics doubt whether he can still govern effectively.

"It was just lip service," Wong Sing-chi, from the opposition Democratic Party, said about Mr Tung's speech.

The current discontent in Hong Kong has also reignited calls for universal suffrage - which according to the territory's mini-constitution, can be implemented from 2007.

The leader of the largest pro-China party in the territory called on Friday for the next chief executive to be elected by completely democratic means.

"The whole scene will be given a new life when there is a clear direction in 2007. People will stop calling on Tung to go," Tsang Yok-sing, chairman of the Democratic Alliance for Betterment of Hong Kong, told the South China Morning Post.

Mr Tung's administration has so far been non-committal on its stance towards universal suffrage.




WATCH AND LISTEN
The BBC's Francis Markus
"The two officials at the centre of the drama still haven't been replaced"



SEE ALSO:
Tung's uncertain future
17 Jul 03  |  Asia-Pacific
Tung Chee-hwa: Beijing's favoured son
07 Jul 03  |  Asia-Pacific
Second minister quits in HK crisis
16 Jul 03  |  Asia-Pacific
Analysis: China's concern at HK protests
09 Jul 03  |  Asia-Pacific
HK delays anti-subversion bill
07 Jul 03  |  Asia-Pacific
HK rally for more democracy
13 Jul 03  |  Asia-Pacific
HK's scandal-hit finance minister
16 Jul 03  |  Asia-Pacific


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific