[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
LANGUAGES
Chinese
Vietnamese
Indonesian
Burmese
Thai
More
Last Updated: Wednesday, 3 September, 2003, 07:12 GMT 08:12 UK
Jail demanded for Bali suspect
Police struggle to remove handcuffs from Ali Imron
Ali Imron has repeatedly said he is sorry for his actions
Prosecutors in Indonesia have called for a 20-year prison sentence for one of the key suspects accused of last year's bombings in Bali, which killed more than 200 people.

Ali Imron faces charges of terrorism which can carry a maximum sentence of death.

But prosecutors said they were calling for a lesser sentence because the defendant had expressed regret for what he had done.

He is the only one of the suspects to have shown remorse for his actions.

When Ali Imron's older brother Amrozi was sentenced to death for his part in the bombings last month, he smiled and said he was happy to die a martyr.

INDONESIA'S TERROR TRIALS
Amrozi
Sentenced to death on 7 August
Convicted of providing the van and bombs used in the attacks.
Imam Samudra
Trial began on 2 June
Accused of planning the attacks.
Mukhlas (Ali Gufron)
Trial began on 16 June
Accused of being the 'mastermind' behind the attacks
Also said to be operations chief of regional militant group Jemaah Islamiah (JI).
Ali Imron
Trial began on 21 July
Has admitted to assembling the main bomb
Abu Bakar Ba'asyir
Sentenced on 2 September to four years in jail for subversion.
Acquitted of being JI's spiritual leader
But Ali Imron, who has often been reduced to tears during his trial, sobbed as prosecution lawyer I Gusti Putu Sulaba read out his statement on Wednesday.

"Mitigating elements included Ali Imron admitting his actions were wrong and his message to his family and supporters to not follow his actions," it said.

Ali Imron has also acknowledged his role in the attacks.

He said he helped to assemble the car bomb which exploded outside the Sari nightclub, and has also admitted planting a smaller bomb outside the American consulate in Denpasar.

He has apologised to the families of the bombing victims, saying he now believes what he did was wrong.

Ali Imron is the fourth of about 30 suspects to go on trial.

He is the youngest of three brothers to have been arrested in connection with the attack. His oldest brother Mukhlas is accused of masterminding the operation.

Another key suspect, Imam Samudra, faces judgement next week. Prosecutors have demanded the death penalty for him.

On Tuesday, radical Muslim cleric Abu Bakar Ba'asyir was sentenced in Jakarta to four years in jail.

He was not charged with a role in the Bali bombings, but he was accused of being the spiritual leader of Jemaah Islamiah, the group believed to have carried out the attacks.

Ba'asyir was convicted of subversion, because prosecutors argued that he knew about and supported JI's actions, even if he was not directly involved.




RELATED BBCi LINKS:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific