The school was closed for two days after the vandals struck
|
A 10-year-old boy appeared before magistrates on Wednesday to admit his part in a £20,000 vandalism spree at a school.
He and two 11-year-old friends left a trail of destruction after breaking into Stowmarket Middle School in Stowmarket, Suffolk, on 7 June.
Computers were damaged, excrement smeared around, a toilet was blocked to cause a flood, a £3,000 interactive white board was destroyed, musical instruments were left in pieces and children's work was ripped from walls.
Detective Inspector David Rutterford said after the hearing: "Excluding arson, this is the worst case of systematic criminal damage I have ever seen in my 22 years in the police service."
£800 compensation
The parents of the 10-year-old and one of the 11-year-olds were each ordered to pay £800 compensation after one of the boys told magistrates: "I thought it would be fun and we wouldn't get caught."
All three boys, who admitted causing criminal damage, have been told their behaviour will be monitored for the next six months.
One of the 11-year-olds appeared in court on a previous occasion.
None of the boys can be identified for legal reasons.
A youth court at Bury St Edmunds heard that the boys broke into the school after one of them smashed a window on a Saturday afternoon.
The 11-year-old who appeared in court told magistrates: "I thought it would be fun and we wouldn't get caught."
He added: "It was fun, but then it got out of hand."
The youngster apologised to his father, who sat with him in court, and magistrates were told that his pocket money had been stopped.
Magistrate Graham Higgins told the boy: "It is a lot of money your dad is going to have to pay on your behalf.
"You think what you get for Christmas; how many Christmases you are looking at.
"I would like you to think about that, and think of the other people who are all missing out because of your 'fun'."
The 10-year-old boy, who appeared with his mother, spoke only to confirm his personal details.