[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
LANGUAGES
Chinese
Vietnamese
Indonesian
Burmese
Thai
More
Last Updated: Wednesday, 16 July, 2003, 10:33 GMT 11:33 UK
Bali suspect justifies bombings
Imam Samudra
Imam Samudra denied planning the Bali attacks
The suspected planner of the 2002 Bali bomb attacks has said the carnage was "justifiable" under Islamic teachings.

Imam Samudra, a 33-year-old Afghan-trained militant and computer specialist, told a court on Wednesday that the attack "avenged the killings of Muslims by the United States and its allies".

He admitted he was involved in the attacks on two nightspots on the island, which killed more than 200 people.

I was not the planner. But if you're talking about involvement, then that is true
Imam Samudra

He also expressed regret at the deaths of Muslims in the bombings.

"If we unintentionally kill someone during jihad, God will forgive us. It was an operational error," he said.

Imam Samudra told the court he was in Bali before the attacks took place and met with others accused in the blasts. But he denied prosecution claims he planned the operation.

"I was not the planner. But if you're talking about involvement, then that is true," he said.

INDONESIA'S TERROR TRIALS
Amrozi
Trial began on 12 May
Accused of providing the van and bombs used in the attacks.
Imam Samudra
Trial began on 2 June
Accused of planning the attacks.
Mukhlas (Ali Gufron)
Trial begins on 16 June
Accused of being the 'mastermind' behind the attacks
Also said to be operations chief of regional militant group Jemaah Islamiah (JI).
Abu Bakar Ba'asyir
On trial for series of church bombings in 2000.
Often linked to Bali bombings as he is accused of being JI's spiritual leader
He is charged by the court with plotting and organising terror crimes causing mass casualties. The crime carries the maximum penalty of death.

His lawyers have said they expected Mr Samudra to be convicted. They hope to show he did not play a planning role and spare him the death penalty.

Prosecutors say he attended key planning meetings in the run-up to the attack and coordinated his conspirators' actions on the night of the blast.

More than 30 people have been arrested in connection with the attacks. All are accused of violating recently passed anti-terror laws.

Indonesian police last week arrested nine suspected militants belonging to Jemaah Islamiah and seized TNT and chemicals with explosive power 10 times that of the bombs used in Bali.

Jemaah Islamiah is a southeast Asian Muslim network accused of carrying out a terror campaign in the region by Indonesian authorities.

They say Mr Samudra is a senior member of the group.


SEE ALSO:
The Bali bombing suspects
28 May 03  |  Asia-Pacific
Bali 'planner' denies direct role
11 Jun 03  |  Asia-Pacific


RELATED BBCi LINKS:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific