[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Tuesday, 15 July, 2003, 12:38 GMT 13:38 UK
Shooting inquest 'step towards closure'
Diane Conway and her husband John
Mrs Conway was shot in the stomach
A man whose wife was shot and killed on the last night of a holiday in South Africa said the inquest into her death was a "step towards closure".

Diane Conway and her husband John were staying near the Kruger National Park last October when a man broke into their hotel room and demanded money.

When the couple, who had been celebrating Mrs Conway's 60th birthday, refused to hand over any cash, golf caddie Prince Mogane, 19, shot them.

Mrs Conway, from Warminster, Wiltshire, was hit in the stomach and died from her wounds. On Tuesday, an inquest into her death recorded a verdict of unlawful killing.

Life imprisonment

Mogane was jailed for life after admitting murder and also sentenced to 44 years in prison for other charges including attempted murder, robbery and illegal possession of a firearm.

Two other men suspected of involvement in Mrs Conway's murder were also arrested.

The inquest at Salisbury coroner's court heard a report from the South African police, and Mr Conway, who was struck in the throat by a bullet in the attack but survived, also spoke of the shooting.

He told the hearing: "Three shots were fired. The first missed, the second one hit me and I was heading towards the ground. Diane screamed and he shot her."

A post mortem examination found Mrs Conway died from a gunshot wound to the stomach with bleeding.

'Coping well'

Speaking after the inquest's ruling at Salisbury Coroner's Court, Mr Conway said the family were coping well.

He said: "It's the whole British thing about mutual support and moving forward and not standing still - that is what we have done with the family and also with our friends."

He said he would not have total closure until he had been to South Africa to collect his wife's belongings, which he has been invited to do by authorities there.

Mr Conway said: "I said at the time I would continue to support South Africa as a tourist venue but people have just got to be aware that these things go on."

He added: "I do not feel anything for the people who were involved in this."




SEE ALSO:
Life sentence for tourist murder
12 Dec 02  |  England
Robber admits tourist murder
04 Dec 02  |  England
Husband recalls holiday shooting
05 Nov 02  |  England
Three held over Briton's killing
25 Oct 02  |  England
Briton shot dead in South Africa
24 Oct 02  |  England


RELATED BBCi LINKS:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific