[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Monday, 14 July, 2003, 17:17 GMT 18:17 UK
C&W hit by Barbados mobile scam
Mobile phone
The Barbados branch of Cable and Wireless (C&W) is attempting to recover thousands of dollars lost in a scam which allowed clients to make free international calls.

Cellular telephone users on the Caribbean island found if they punched in *89 after dialling overseas telephone numbers they could talk for hours without the call showing up on their bills.

The British company has lost nearly 1m Barbadian dollars ($500,000) due to the loophole which has been going on for months, the Associated Press reported, although company officials said they believe the figure to be far lower.

"It is our intention to recover all the money owed," said C&W spokesman Peter Eustace.

Contacting customers

The company would not say how it discovered the problem, only that it had been corrected.

"Our local business will be contacting customers impacted by the use to discuss payment," the firm said.

"It will be using usual credit management processes to recover the debt."

The company would not comment on how many people made the calls but said the scam was only employed by a "small section of its customer base".


SEE ALSO:
C&W cuts 1,500 UK jobs
04 Jun 03  |  Business
Cable & Wireless cuts 3,500 jobs
13 Nov 02  |  Business
Pressure grows for Cable & Wireless
11 Nov 02  |  Business
New boss for Cable & Wireless
02 Apr 03  |  Business


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific