[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Monday, 14 July, 2003, 16:49 GMT 17:49 UK
Youths guilty of violent disorder
Four youths have been convicted of violent disorder following a fight outside a Tube station after which a Nottinghamshire antiques dealer died.

Thomas Scott, a 34-year-old from Newark, became involved in an argument and scuffle as he and his half-brother left Kentish Town station in north London in October 2002.

Mr Scott had been visiting his brother, who lives in Hendon, north London, but the pair got the wrong train home after a night out.

Jeremy Benson QC, for the prosecution, told the Old Bailey: "These four defendants were in the vicinity and decided to join in the fight.

'Troubling case'

"They chased the Scott brothers along the road. There was a rolling fight as the group moved up the road."

Mr Scott was struck with a knuckleduster at least twice and did not regain consciousness, Mr Benson said.

Mohamed Ahmed, 20, from Kentish Town, north London, two 16-year-olds and a 17-year-old who cannot be named because of their ages, were cleared of murder and manslaughter.

But the four youths were convicted of violent disorder and have been remanded on bail until 8 August for pre-sentence reports.

Judge Martin Stephens told the jurors that it had been a "difficult and troubling case".




SEE ALSO:
Jury told of tube station attack
19 Jun 03  |  Nottinghamshire


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific