[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
LANGUAGES
Somali
French
Swahili
Great Lakes
Hausa
Portuguese
Last Updated: Monday, 14 July, 2003, 13:45 GMT 14:45 UK
Liberian truce under threat
Government soldier
This pro-government fighter believes a woman's wig will protect him
The Liberian Government and rebel groups have accused each other of breaking a ceasefire, first agreed last month.

Defence Minister Daniel Chea told Reuters news agency that his forces had been attacked in three places around the country.

However rebels, who control some two-thirds of Liberia, say they were attacked first. Both sides say they are not returning to war.

The United States has not yet decided whether to send troops to lead a peacekeeping force, as requested by West African leaders and the United Nations.

They want to draw us into fighting but we will not allow ourselves to be drawn in
Defence Minister Daniel Chea
President Charles Taylor has said he will step down but only after the peace force arrives.

The rebels insist that he must leave before any peacekeepers are deployed.

While a tenuous peace has held for more than two weeks in the capital, Monrovia, the UN food agency has warned that hundreds of thousands of displaced Liberians in camps outside the capital continue to be cut off from aid and risk starvation.

High alert

Mr Chea said the army had been attacked in Greenville in the south-east, Kwendine in the north and in upper Bomi County, north-west of the capital Monrovia.

"They want to draw us into fighting but we will not allow ourselves to be drawn in," he said, accusing rebels of trying to grab territory ahead of the arrival of a team of international monitors meant to map the ceasefire line.

On Sunday, Liberia's deputy chief of staff General Benjamin Yeaten said that loyalist forces had been put on "maximum alert" in case of a new rebel offensive on Monrovia.

A spokesman for the Model rebels, General Boi Bleeju Boi, who is attending peace talks in Ghana, said Mr Taylor's forces had attacked his fighters repeatedly over the past few days.

Liberians are desperate for an end to over a decade of conflict

"I know that Charles Taylor has broken the ceasefire and attacked my positions...We consider it a violation of the ceasefire but we have been very calm," he said.

Mr Taylor - who is wanted by a UN-backed tribunal for war crimes in neighbouring Sierra Leone - has accepted an offer of asylum in Nigeria.

The main rebel group - Liberians United for Reconciliation and Democracy (Lurd) - has warned it will confront any international peacekeeping force that is deployed in the country before President Taylor steps down.

They said international peacekeepers would strengthen Mr Taylor's ability to hang on to power.




RELATED BBCi LINKS:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific