The coach was flipped over in the impact
|
A man killed when he collided with a coach as he walked along a dual carriageway had been sitting in a car with his girlfriend in a nearby layby just minutes before.
Police confirmed that the girlfriend of the dead man - named as 20-year-old Simon Vernon from Brymbo - was still in the car at the time of the incident.
Officers said the crash was caused as the coach tried to swerve to avoid Mr Vernon, who was on the road.
The HGV lorry travelling behind the coach then crashed into the back of the coach, causing it to flip over and trapping five people inside.
Almost 40 people were injured in the crash, which happened just after midnight on Monday.
Several people were treated in hospital following the crash, and three remained in a serious condition - one at the Wrexham Maelor hospital and three at the Countess of Chester hospital.
Barry Owen, a divisional officer for North Wales Fire Service, said it was "miraculous" that no-one on the coach died.
The crash happened on the outskirts of Wrexham
|
He said he was sure that the seatbelts they were wearing had saved their lives.
"I am confident that was the reason there weren't fatalities on the coach - with an accident of that magnitude, we would expect fatalities."
The passengers on the coach - employees of Dedicated Micros CCTV camera firm in Manchester - were returning home after watching the Shirley Bassey concert at the Llangollen International Eisteddfod.
Nigel Petrie, chairman of Dedicated Micros, said everyone at the firm was "extremely shocked" by the crash.
"We would like to extend our sympathy to everyone who was involved in this appalling accident," he said.
Chief Inspector Lyn Adams added it was "extremely fortunate that no-one on the bus died".
The coach was secured by a recovery team
|
"It is the case of the pedestrian being in the inside lane of the dual carriageway at quarter past midnight and the driver having little option but to collide with him," he said.
"The vehicle travelling behind was the HGV and, unfortunately, that vehicle was not able to stop and collided with the rear of the coach.
Both carriageways of the road were closed to traffic for more than 12 hours and North Wales Police had been warning motorists to stay away from the area.
A single lane in each direction was opened on Monday afternoon.
A number has been set up for people worried about relatives: 01492 518383.