[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Monday, 14 July, 2003, 11:03 GMT 12:03 UK
One dead in coach crash
Coach crash
The coach was flipped over in the impact
A pedestrian has died and almost 40 other people have been injured after a coach and a lorry collided near Wrexham early on Monday.

The accident happened just after midnight on the A483 bypass, and is believed to have been caused as the coach tried to swerve to avoid a pedestrian on the dual carriageway.

Five people were cut out of the coach, which had been carrying 36 passengers.

Seventeen people were treated in hospital following the crash, but three remain in a serious condition - one at the Wrexham Maelor hospital and two at the Countess of Chester hospital.

The dead man has been named as 20-year-old Simon Vernon from Brymbo - police have confirmed his girlfriend was in his car in a layby at the roadside at the time of the incident.

Barry Owen, a divisional officer for North Wales Fire Service, said it was "miraculous" that no-one on the coach died.

Location graphic
The crash happened on the outskirts of Wrexham
He said he was sure that the seatbelts they were wearing had saved their lives.

"I am confident that was the reason there weren't fatalaties on the coach - with an accident of that magnitude, we would expect fatalaties."

It is understood the passengers on the coach, who were employees of Dedicated Micros, a CCTV camera firm in Swinton, Manchester, were returning home after watching the Shirley Bassey concert at the Llangollen International Eisteddfod.

"We are extremely fortunate that no-one on the bus has died," said Chief Inspector Lyn Adams.

"Five people were trapped inside the vehicle - they were all wearing seatbelts."

Bus and recovery team
The coach was secured by a recovery team

Both carriageways of the road are closed to traffic and North Wales Police are warning motorists to stay away from the area.

The road is closed both ways between the Gresford turn off and the Mold Rd turn off and it is likely to be shut until at least 1200 BST.

The drivers of both the coach and the lorry escaped with minor injuries.

"It is the case of the pedestrian being in the inside lane of the dual carriageway at quarter past midnight and the driver having little option but to collide with him," said Chief Inspector Adams.

"The vehicle travelling behind was the HGV and, unfortunately, that vehicle was not able to stop and collided with the rear of the coach.

"Our initial examinations of both vehicles suggest there is nothing mechanically wrong with either vehicle."

A number has been set up for people worried about relatives: 01492 518383.


WATCH AND LISTEN
The BBC's Paul Anstiss
"North Wales Police say it was a miracle no-one else was killed"


Barry Owen from the North Wales Fire Service
"Most people had cuts and bruises"



SEE ALSO:
Crash victims lucky escape
14 Jul 03  |  North East Wales



PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific