Curtis Martin needed five hours of surgery to save his eye
|
The mother of a five-year-old boy who received a serious eye injury in an attack in south Belfast has appealed to other parents to help find those responsible.
A surgeon worked for five hours in theatre to repair damage to Curtis Martin's eye after he was hit by a stone on Saturday night.
The car in which he and his father were travelling was pelted with stones at Cromac Street near the nationalist Markets area at about 2145 BST.
 |
If anyone knows who did this, I hope they'll come forward with the information, especially if they're parents themselves
|
A stone smashed a window in the vehicle, hitting the boy in the face.
Curtis' parents were too upset to talk to journalists but in a statement, his mother called on other parents to help find those responsible.
"If they could just see the damage they have done to a lovely little boy," she said.
"If anyone knows who did this, I hope they'll come forward, especially if they are parents themselves."
The little boy is being treated at the Royal Victoria Hospital for Sick Children in Belfast.
Chief Inspector Colin McLean said the incident was unprovoked
|
Curtis' mother also appealed for anyone with information to contact the police.
Chief Inspector Colin McLean said the incident was unprovoked.
"The child was wearing a Rangers top, and he was with his father who was in his band uniform," he said.
"They had been travelling back from the band parades that had been taking place that day.
"For that reason, we believe that this was a sectarian incident."
SDLP representative for south Belfast Alasdair
McDonnell backed the calls for help in tracing those responsible.
"This type of attack is inexcusable. Those who are
responsible should be ashamed of themselves," he said.
Sinn Fein's Alex Maskey said: " I would
appeal to the parents in this area, of young children especially, to make sure that they have control of
them, especially late into the evenings."