[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Sunday, 13 July, 2003, 10:59 GMT 11:59 UK
Teens sue teacher over 'sex probe'

By Matt Wells
BBC correspondent in New York

Two teenage girls have decided to sue their head teacher in Manhattan after she allegedly demanded they have tests for pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases, following a raucous party.

Michael Bloomberg
It has been a tough year for education since Mayor Bloomberg took over
The case has sent shockwaves through an education system where relations between administrators, teachers, parents and children are already heavily strained, following a radical re-organisation which came into effect this month.

The two girls, aged 13 and 14, attended a so-called "hooky party" in April this year, and were suspended along with a group of friends when news of their truancy got back to the school's principal and senior administrators.

In general, "hooky" parties in the city during school hours are known to have a debauched flavour, where sexual experimentation and drinking alcohol are encouraged.

Although the facts in this particular case have yet to emerge, it is certainly true that New York teenagers grow up faster than most.

Along with a handful of senior administrators, the school's principal, Lavern Reid, decided that extreme disciplinary action was needed.

She suspended the girls, insisting that they would only be allowed back if they had medical certificates giving them a clean bill of sexual health, according to the lawsuit.

The girls' case has been filed by the American Civil Liberties Union in New York (NYCLU).

Its executive director, Donna Lieberman, told a news conference that the principal had "good intentions", but added: "This incident is part of a pattern of the school system taking a fundamentally misguided approach to teenage girls and their health.

"To add insult to injury", she continued, "the school administrators assumed they could keep the students out of school based on the results of the tests. That is clearly illegal."

Doctor's outrage

The case came to light after the specialist who examined several of the girls, Dr David Bell, decided the principal's instructions were outrageous.

It was embarrassing... I felt that it was a punishment that they didn't have any right to do
One of the plaintiffs
"When you force teens to undergo intrusive medical procedures as punishment, you alienate them," he said.

Conditions of the lawsuit against school officials dictate that the girls remain anonymous, but one of the plaintiffs said: "It was embarrassing... I felt that it was a punishment that they didn't have any right to do".

The NYCLU also pointed out that, as far as they could tell, none of the boys involved in the daytime party were forced to undergo medical testing.

Ms Reid became principal of the junior high school - in the Washington Heights area - at the beginning of the year.

Neither she nor any other official at the Board of Education has been commenting on the case, although the head of the New York schools' service, Joel Klein, did have a few words for reporters.

"We'll respond appropriately in court. The difference between allegations and proof is critical to remember."

Mr Klein added: "I'm not saying what the facts are here, because we have made no investigation that I'm aware of into this".

Upheaval

It has been a year of upheaval for New York's public education system after the Republican mayor, Michael Bloomberg, took direct control of it last year and gave Mr Klein scope for major reform.

Hundreds of posts have been cut, and a totally new bureaucracy created that emphasises more parental involvement.

Richard Relkin, who speaks for the school principals' union in New York, said he could not comment directly on Ms Reid's disciplinary approach as that was the responsibility of the city authorities, but added that head teachers felt beleaguered.

"They have had lots of resources taken away, but their responsibilities have increased, with less power to decide for themselves. There is enormous pressure right now on principals, kids, administrators and teachers."

Finding the appropriate mix of punishment and incentives for increasingly precocious generations of school kids has never been harder, says Mr Relkin.

What is clear is that a school-based attempt to shock young teenagers away from a debauched lifestyle - where parental role models are increasingly scarce - has seriously backfired.

As the Board of Education and City of New York will have to bear the cost of any damages that may be awarded, it will be the taxpayer once again who foots the bill.




SEE ALSO:
New York schools to ban sweet sales
30 Jun 03  |  Education
New York faces 'doomsday' budget
16 Apr 03  |  Business


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific