[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Saturday, 12 July, 2003, 15:27 GMT 16:27 UK
Mothers drive yobs out
Michelle Bernasconi, who gathered evidence against the yobs
Ms Bernasconi said she acted to invest in her childrens' future
All young mother Michelle Bernasconi wanted was for her family to be able to feel safe when they stepped out of their house.

Instead she was forced to put up with intimidation from groups of yobs involved in violence on the streets of her estate in Greater Manchester.

However, after several years of putting up with what had turned in to a nightmare Ms Bernasconi had had enough.

She and other mothers took a stand, at great personal risk, and began gathering evidence against the youths, which has led to at least three being banned from the area.

They worked closely with police to secure the court convictions, and could now win a government award for their bravery.

Physically threatened

Greater Manchester Police has praised the women for their work, which has helped to improve policing of the area.

Ms Bernasconi said it has been about reclaiming the area for the community.

On Saturday she told BBC News 24: "People were threatened with violence, there was violence on the streets.

"People were frightened to go outside...I was frightened to go to the shops.

A scene from the Oldham riots in 2001
The police have improved patrols in the area since the 2001 riots
"It's about trying to invest in my children's future, to teach them not to just come inside, but they should stand up to bullies - this is our community."

Another resident, Samantha Gibson, said she had been physically threatened.

She said: "I've been shouted at, sworn at and my property has been threatened."

Inspector John McNeil said the womens' initiative has been a welcome addition to the force's pledge to get more officers on the beat in the wake of the Oldham riots in 2001.

He said: "As they have stood up and provided evidence to the police, other people have seen what's happened and as a result they have then spoken to us.

"It's made a real difference in the way we can police the area and help to improve the lives of people."

The evidence the women have provided is expected to lead to more youths being banned from the area in the coming weeks.




WATCH AND LISTEN
The BBC's Steve Swann
"For years life felt like a living nightmare for Michelle Bernasconi and her family"



SEE ALSO:
Police issue behaviour warnings
03 Jul 03  |  Northamptonshire
Boy's racist language ban
03 Jul 03  |  Manchester
Anti-social youths banned from estate
01 Jul 03  |  Hereford/Worcs
'Yob culture' undermines teachers
24 Jun 03  |  Education
'Menace' faces estate ban
09 Jun 03  |  North East Wales


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific