[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 11 July, 2003, 16:45 GMT 17:45 UK
Man admits attacking autistic boy
A teenager who attacked a three-year-old autistic boy while drunk at a party has been detained for 10 years.

Shaun Alston, 18, turned on the boy, who was a complete stranger, after being involved in a drunken fight.

The boy, thinking it was a game, held his arms open when he was picked up, Preston Crown Court was told.

But Alston then threw the youngster to the floor with full force, causing two skull fractures.

Alston, of Linnet Street, Preston, was 17 at the time of the incident, which was caught on closed circuit television.

Frequent nightmares

He admitted causing grievous bodily harm after being originally accused of attempted murder.

Richard Haworth, prosecuting, said Alston had been drinking during a party at a flat in Preston city centre.

The victim, who was the son of a neighbour, would have an increased risk of suffering from epilepsy or partial deafness as a result of the attack, he added.

He said the boy had suffered nightmares and had tantrums which could last for hours since the attack.

Charles Brown, defending, said Alston was ashamed and felt remorse, but said it was an isolated incident.

But Judge Peter Openshaw QC said Alston posed a continuing risk to the public and sentenced him to 10 years in detention.


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific