[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 11 July, 2003, 17:20 GMT 18:20 UK
Blake trial witness 'fears for life'
A witness in the murder trial of actor Robert Blake will not be allowed to give testimony before trial, even though she fears for her life, a judge has ruled.

Diane Mattson, 44, cried and shuddered in court after the judge ruled she must wait to give sworn evidence in the case, now due to start in February 2004.

Ms Mattson says that she overheard actor Marlon Brando's son Christian say that someone needed to put a bullet in the head of Blake's wife Bonny Lee Bakley.

Mr Blake is accused of shooting Ms Bakley in May 2001 as she sat in his car outside a restaurant in Los Angeles where the couple had just dined.


Channel 4 to show second autopsy

Channel 4 is to screen another autopsy, months after a doctor caused an outcry by performing the procedure in public.

It plans to broadcast a documentary featuring the autopsy of a twin boy who had been growing inside his brother as a result of a rare condition called foetus in fetu.

The body was surgically removed after the seven-year-old boy from Kazakhstan complained that something was moving around inside him.

In November last year, Professor Gunther von Hagens, 72, performed the first public autopsy for 170 years. An edited version was broadcast later on Channel 4.


'Roboshark' star of BBC wildlife film

Unique footage of sharks' behaviour is being screened in a Wildlife Special programme on BBC One later this month.

Documentary makers used a hi-tech remote control 6ft robot shark to move among the predators during filming for the programme.

During one incident it ignored the creatures' protocol of behaviour by getting too close to a seal carcass - and was attacked by a Great White shark.

Producers of Smart Sharks - being screened on 27 July - say the footage should help to explode the Jaws myth surrounding sharks.


Underwood for Sex and the City

Former LA Law star Blair Underwood is joining the Sex and the City series for four episodes playing the love interest of one of the female leads.

The 38-year-old star actor, who recently starred in the film Full Frontal, will make his first appearance during this summer's season of 12 episodes.

Producers will not reveal which of the female characters he will romance.

Kyle MacLachlan, John Corbett and Chris Noth are among the other actors who have appeared as boyfriends in the hit US series.


Ballet star honoured with CBE

Royal Ballet star Sylvie Guillem, one of the world's most feted ballerinas, was awarded an honorary CBE on Wednesday.

The French dancer was honoured for her services to ballet and was presented with the award by Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell in a ceremony at the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Guillem, 38, has been based in London for the past 14 years after joining the Royal Ballet as principal guest artist in 1989.


Fans banned from History House

Fans of a Channel 4 series have been told to stay away from a house which is the focus of the show.

The History Of A House charts changes to the interior of a Bristol house over the last 200 years.

But the Kingsdown Parade house has now been sold, and a programme spokeswoman said owners "don't want people turning up and demanding to look around".

TwoFour Productions added: "The new owners understandably just want to be left alone to enjoy their new home."





PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific