Rioters took to the streets of Belfast last Easter
|
A group with links to loyalist paramilitaries has warned that violence in interface areas of Belfast over Easter could lead to "another summer of mindless violence".
The Ulster Political Research Group called on loyalists and republicans to ensure there was no repeat of the riots that erupted last Easter and did not calm until after the Protestant marching season.
The UPRG, which has links with the Ulster Defence Association, said tensions were high in interface areas of the city where Catholics and Protestants live side by side.
Friday's statement said: "The UPRG will be taking the necessary steps to ensure as much as possible that no trouble will flare up in loyalist areas and would hope republicans will reciprocate.
"We call on all those involved in peace work in interface areas to double
their efforts to help create a peaceful Easter."
More than 1,100 members of the public and police officers were injured during sectarian clashes last year.
We would also encourage all those with influence to promote dialogue across
the interfaces and between local residents and loyal institutions
Eoin O'Broin Sinn Fein councillor
|
UPRG spokesman Frankie Gallagher said loyalist activists would try to prevent trouble breaking out in flashpoint areas.
"If you look back at last year when trouble flared at Easter it didn't stop
until October," he said.
"If we can get people to step back and think about it now maybe we can
prevent that from happening, but republicans need to play their part."
A Sinn Fein city councillor for one of the areas affected by the trouble said there was "obvious nervousness as the marching season approaches".
"We will be doing everything in our power to prevent such circumstances and
we would appeal to all those with influence across the city to do likewise," said Ardoyne representative Eoin O'Broin.
"We would also encourage all those with influence to promote dialogue across
the interfaces and between local residents and loyal institutions."