Leo Warren's family has an anxious six weeks
|
A man from Norfolk who went to Iraq to act as a human shield is back, saying his mission was a success.
Leo Warren, 44, from Feltwell, spent six weeks in and around Baghdad.
He arrived back in England on Thursday and is now reunited with his family.
He said he felt he had no choice but to try and protect civilians in Iraq.
His aim had been to protect six humanitarian sites from being bombed.
Pleased and relieved
He said the action and that of other human shields prevented American bombs and saved lives.
Of the 300 who travelled to Iraq to act as human shields about 70 stayed through the war.
"It was really worth it. We went out and succeeded in everything we went out there to achieve - that is to protect humanitarian sites from being bombed that were vital for the population of Baghdad," Mr Warren said.
After the first wave of bombing of Baghdad Mr Warren lost touch with his family, sparking fears for his safety.
His wife Daylinda, 38, said she was pleased and relieved to have her husband home again with their sons 15-year-old Leo and Loman, three.