Women in Basra collect water supplied by British troops
|
Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon has told British troops they still have a job to do in Iraq.
In a special address broadcast on British Forces Broadcasting Service (BFBS) on Friday, Mr Hoon told them they would not remain in the Gulf "a day longer than is absolutely necessary".
"But it is necessary that we should win the peace as well as the war," he added.
Britain started to scale down its presence in the region at the end of last week and a handful of troops returned home.
But the vast majority will be required to remain there until "normality is restored" to the country.
We can't simply walk away from Iraq and say you're on your own now
|
"Having had a vicious conflict against a vicious regime we can't simply walk away from Iraq and say you're on your own now, get on with it," said Mr Hoon.
Troops would be required to help restore water and electricity supplies.
Because of Iraq's natural resources and educated population, Mr Hoon said the task could be completed perhaps sooner than in less developed countries.
The defence secretary said the fighting role of British troops was not over and they still faced a danger from pockets of resistance.
In Baghdad and the north of the country it came from "elements of the militia" who were continuing to resist coalition forces.
Blair 'would have resigned'
In Basra and the south, he said it came from a disorganised group of fanatics who were carrying out terrorist type attacks.
Mr Hoon reassured servicemen and women that the government had "no military plans" to attack Syria.
But he warned the country not to provide a "safe haven" to members of the regime and their families.
He congratulated the troops on their work during the conflict and said they had done a "tremendous job".
His comments came as the prime minister added his praise to the troops.
Tony Blair said he had felt terrible upon learning of the first British war deaths - "a huge sense of sadness", he told the Sun newspaper.
But he said he had received a boost from the father of a soldier killed in the conflict who had supported going to war.
"Then he wrote to me after his son had been killed to say it was terrible - but he added: 'I still think it is the right thing to do'."
Mr Blair said he had been prepared to resign if the Commons vote on military action had gone against him.