[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Monday, 2 June, 2003, 15:42 GMT 16:42 UK
Ibiza road death campaign
Shelagh Holloway with a picture of her son
Shelagh Holloway said she wants justice for her son
The parents of a teenager killed at a notorious accident black spot in Ibiza say they have been let down by the Spanish justice system.

David Holloway,17, was killed by a coach in September 2002 on the first night of his holiday in San Antonio.

The bus driver whose vehicle hit him walked free from court last week after the judge went against the evidence of Spanish police who claimed he could have avoided the teenager.

Richard and Shelagh Holloway from Buckley in Flintshire, have demanded a re-trial and have enlisted the help of their MP Mark Tami.

"We took the driver to court and the verdict was that he wasn't to blame because he hadn't set out to kill anyone and David wasn't wearing lights on his clothes," said Mr Holloway.

This road has killed enough people, in Britain it would've been closed
Mark Tami MP

"The Spanish police said the driver should've seen David.

"We want to take the case to the European Court and get some justice."

David was holidaying with friends, and had just emerged from a nightclub when he was knocked down by a bus owned by one of the all-night discos.

More than 30 British youngsters, including a 19-year-old from Neath have died on the same stretch of road in recent years, according to British officials on the island.

Rebecca Watkins was killed on the second day of her holiday when she walked out of the packed nightclub and began crossing the road.

Petition

Forgetting that traffic drove on the other side of the road to that in Britain, she looked left instead of right - and was knocked down.

The coroner recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Alyn and Deeside MP Mark Tami said he wants justice for the two Welsh teenagers.

"This road has killed enough people, in Britain it would've been closed," he said.

"The highway has a speed limit of 75mph even though it runs past two nightclubs that between them hold 24,000 people.

"There are no lights on the road and the speed limit is utter madness."

Mr Tami has written to the Foreign Secretary and will present a petition to the Spanish Embassy with the families of victims.

Mr Holloway, 39, and his wife who also have a 14-year-old son said they will meet with their MP before finalising their campaign.

"People need to be made aware. When David was killed we thought 'somebody else will let their kid go away and they're not going to come back'," Mr Holloway said.




SEE ALSO:
Teenager killed on Ibiza trip
09 Sep 02  |  Wales



PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific