A KC-135 Stratotanker touches down at RAF Mildenhall
|
Anti-noise campaigners believe a ruling to pay almost £1m compensation to a couple whose home is overflown by Royal Air Force jets could open the door to more lawsuits.
On Wednesday, a court awarded £950,000 to Darby and Catherine Dennis after they sought compensation over the noise of training jets above their Lincolnshire home.
John Stewart, Chairman of the UK Noise Association, said the Ministry of Defence (MoD) - and possibly commercial airports - might be compelled to lessen air traffic over residential areas in the wake of the ruling, or even to consider moving airfields.
"It's too early to say whether this will apply to civil aircraft as well, but if it does, there could be a flood of cases," he said.
People living near airports where there had been a dramatic increase in the number of planes over the last 10 to 15 years may take action, he added.
Brian Lockwood's house overlooks the runway at RAF Mildenhall
|
Others who live near military airfields say they would not consider suing over noise from aircraft.
Brian Lockwood's house in Mildenhall, Suffolk, sits at the end of a runway, but he says he is not concerned about the sound of tanker aircraft.
Mr Lockwood said: "It is noisy, and we do get woken up several times during the night, but we've lived here 20 years now, and this air base has been there longer than we have.
"For me to think of claiming compensation, it would be ludicrous."
The MoD plans to appeal against the compensation awarded to the Dennis's.
It has said it would continue training in the area around RAF Wittering in Cambridgeshire with "minimum noise".