A farmer handed in two rifles, two pistols and ammunition
|
More than 600 weapons have been surrendered in Sussex since the nationwide guns amnesty started two weeks ago.
Police said on Thursday 667 guns had been handed in - a response they describe as "very encouraging".
The county's haul includes a Kalashnikov assault rifle and a World War One pistol dating from 1915.
The amnesty continues until the end of April.
Every weapon that is given up is a weapon that cannot be used in crime and violence
Assistant Chief Constable Geoff Williams
|
This week saw a farmer from Lewes hand in two rifles, two pistols and "hundreds" of rounds of ammunition, leading police to highlight the opportunity for people in rural areas of Sussex to hand over old weapons which may now be unwanted or unlicensed.
Assistant Chief Constable Geoff Williams said: "Every weapon that is given up is a weapon that cannot be used in crime and violence.
"The safety of the public is our priority and taking guns off our streets will save lives and cut crime.
"There are still two weeks remaining in the guns amnesty and I would urge anyone who has illegally held guns and ammunition, unwanted guns, including air guns and imitation weapons and BB guns to surrender them.
"Furthermore, if you know of anyone who is in possession of a firearm either illegally or one which is no longer wanted, please urge them to hand it over to the police."