Government postponed assembly elections until autumn
|
The final decision on salaries and allowances to be paid to former Northern Ireland Assembly members while they await a new date for elections is due to be made by the secretary of state.
It is understood the Clerk of the Assembly sent out a letter received by MLAs on Friday, in which he said he had not been authorised to pay them for last month.
Even though the Northern Ireland Assembly was suspended in October amid allegations of IRA intelligence gathering at the heart of the Stormont government, members have still been paid an annual salary of £31,817, about 75% of the full salary.
Parties have been consulting with Northern Ireland Office minister Des Browne about salaries and allowances.
Mr Browne has made a submission to Secretary of State Paul Murphy and it is understood he will make a final decision on Monday.
'No warning'
Alliance leader David Ford MLA called for the Northern Ireland Office and the Assembly authorities to "work out what was happening".
"I had no warning at all that the salary would not be paid - indeed, I had been given to understand that the reduced rate salary would have been paid last month," he said.
The BBC understands assembly members will probably be offered half their original £42,500 wage.
This new salary of about £21,000 is intended to be a temporary arrangement, pending future elections.
In addition, an annual allowance to run constituency offices has been agreed, with an upper ceiling thought to be set at £48,000.
The parties have each been granted the use of three rooms at Parliament Buildings from Monday onwards.