The IRA released its Easter statement on Thursday
|
The IRA has said it is not yet in a position to make a definitive comment on the continuing negotiations between republicans and the British and Irish Governments.
In its Easter statement, the organisation said it was monitoring political developments very closely.
The two governments last week postponed the publication of their blueprint to fully implement the Good Friday Agreement and restore devolution.
They received clarification of points in an earlier IRA statement on Sunday but a few issues remain to be resolved.
The latest statement from the IRA called on republicans to remain patient and said it stood ready to publish the position it passed to the governments last weekend.
That statement covered the status of its ceasefire, its future intentions and its attitude to putting more arms beyond use.
I do appreciate that it is not easy for the parties and I would appeal to them to give us some more time
Bertie Ahern Irish Prime Minister
|
The organisation said the onus remained on the governments and the political parties to fulfil their obligations and commitments.
British and Irish Government officials are continuing to hold discussions while contact is continuing with the pro-Agreement political parties in Northern Ireland.
The two prime ministers, Tony Blair and Bertie Ahern, met in Athens in Wednesday, on the fringes of an EU summit.
Mr Ahern acknowledged that the search for a resolution had been "painfully slow".
"I do appreciate that it is not easy for the parties and I would appeal to them to give us some more time," he said.
"It may not work but it it is certainly worth the effort because all of the work that has happened in the last six months might be put on hold or collapse altogether for the next number of months."
'Serious thinking required'
On Wednesday, Ulster Unionist leader David Trimble said the IRA's statement on its future intent over the Northern Ireland political process had fallen a long way short of what was required.
David Trimble said he was disappointed and believed the plan that was being developed last week by the British and Irish Governments will not now happen.
He said the governments needed to come up with some ideas for "a Plan B" about how to proceed and that some serious thinking was required.
The UUP leader said his own party had a number of ideas but he was not ready to make them public.
Sinn Fein's Gerry Kelly said Mr Trimble's focus on dictating terms should not be allowed to frustrate the peace process.
SDLP leader Mark Durkan said the governments were right to ask for answers from the IRA in order to restore devolution.
Northern Ireland's power-sharing administration was suspended on 14 October 2002 amid allegations of IRA intelligence gathering at the heart of the Stormont government.