Mr Latif bought the title of Lord of Harpole
|
British forces who served in Iraq have been offered free meals at an Indian restaurant for the next five years.
Bangladesh-born Abdul Latif, 47, said he would welcome servicemen and women, and their families, for free meals at his Rupali restaurant in Newcastle's Bigg Market until 2008.
Mr Latif - who publicises himself as Britain's first Bangladeshi Lord of the Manor - said he was doing it as a "thank you".
He has also planned a free celebration at his restaurant for Iraqis on May 11 to mark the country's "new beginning".
Mr Latif said: "I am doing this because they did a wonderful job for us out there.
"I wanted to give them a little thank you for what they have done."
Season tickets
Mr Latif - who bought the title Lord of Harpole - was not worried about people falsely claiming to be a war hero.
He said: "If they lie, I think we will find out. I am sure nobody will cheat."
Mr Latif said Iraqis could come along to his restaurant for the free celebration next month to celebrate the fall of Saddam Hussein's regime.
He said: "After 25 years we wanted to do something because they have had a terrible time."
Around 45,000 members of the Armed Forces were posted to the Gulf ahead of the start of the war.
Mr Latif has previously promised free curries to Newcastle United season ticket holders if the club won the Premiership.